Taboo question - Taking “ ———-“ onboard when flying /Help ???

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Miss99

Lapsed Senior Member
Sooo with my new client I’m going far far from my town at the end of Feb. for a full week almost , Tuesday -Friday back home from NYC.

I have a calendar where I know my anxiety will be high. Close to aunt flows arrival for me ugh ! ( my period )

These are the times I take my safety pills that I have no RX for, I have asked friends they say fairly easy just to put them in your carry on or in pockets. Or in a pack of breath mints in my purse. We are taking 3-4 pills just in case I feel an attack coming on, I am flying And I don’t like flying That much.

It’s quite annoying people who suffer from anxiety / panic have to go through this BS anyway and now this. And just my luck on the week my anxiety is the worst. I have natural things I can take of course but the added precaution of having my go to meds really helps. Any ideas?

I know I would get the best advice here !

Another friend told me just drink the whole time lol
Ummm nope ????

Thank you in advance xoxo

Miss99

Not really a taboo topic, but I wouldn't leave loose pills in my pocket. Buy a small bottle of anything, Id use a sleep aid, and toss them in there.

I fly with all my rxs, my son's Adderall, some advice migraine, and my wife's "aunt flow" medicine if needed. I've never had them open a bottle or even put there hands on one. If I carried a purse I'd put them in there. Really no reason to be worried. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Any ideas? Miss99

There are plenty of ways. Send via 2 day priority mail ( bubble wrapped up nice in a bday card) to where ever you are staying in advance.

If the color is the same, put in a container of OTC meds and take them with you - which is very common and an easy way to do it. Breath mints work great (again, color).

Do a search for threads and there are plenty - found https://pharmacyreviewer.co/forum/general-advice/54573-travelling-us-unprescribed-meds.html?highlight=traveling+with+meds which may be useful.

Just get creative and don't panic or worry when you are traveling with them

You will be fine.

Last edited:
Definitely do not carry loose pills in your pocket or purse. Put them in a script bottle or one of those small sinus medicine bottles. I found various bottles that the real contents look like the pill/capsule I want to put in it. (pretty much what @petenyc wrote above that I just noticed...)

The key thing is to try to think of them as legitimate medicine. Only you know that the pills arent original to the bottle.
I fly quite a bit and have never really had any issue putting them in carry on or in my luggage. I tend to prefer to put them in my luggage because I do carry about 5 different things and my purse just isnt that big but then you run the risk of lost luggage.

I have been patted down by TSA (despite having precheck) and if I had a pill in my pocket, they would have found it so I definitely suggest not carrying any that way. I have also found that they dont really bother with pill bottles. They may look at them but thats rare. Customs tends to look a little closer but you're flying domestic so I dont think you'll have any issue.

Have a good trip.

Just to add, maybe just me but I'd never put them in anything but carry on. All my bottles add up to just about not being able to close a 1 gallon ziplock. I've also read about meds being taken out, even stolen, of checked luggage. At least going thru tsa I can watch them go thru my backpack. All that said to say that if I arrived in Hawaii or California and went to get my med out of a checked bag, and one of them were missing, it would ruin the whole trip. Wd on a vacation is no fun and nobody is going to believe tsa stole your bottle if you went to the emergency room for a few.

I like the idea of mailing a few also if you have someone on that end you trust.

You'll be fine, just don't leave anything loose or in cellophane or anything. Like they said, find a bottle with a similar color and toss them. You can find threads but looking at tsa screens on the threads a bag of bottles is all a big orange (maybe a different color blob). The only way it would be an issue is if they decided to go thru your bottles and I've never had it happen. Enjoy yourself.

I also would NEVER put my important meds in regular luggage. Have heard too many horror stories about meds gone missing. Carry on only!

When I was going through IVF, I was going through the x-ray/check your carry on and I told them I had a bunch of meds with rx's, it was in a cool container as they had to stay cool, yada yada. They didn't bat an eye and this was after 9/11. It was a US to UK flight. Didn't even ask to look at it. But it went through the x-ray machine.

The only thing I wonder about if I were to do it again is that I don't have many bottles that correspond to my meds. Which are much different than IVF meds ;)

So I would need to get creative as some of the other posters have suggested. (looking for otc meds that look the same is a great idea).

Or be honest and say I'm carrying meds and pray they don't ask for the rx! (Although I think the option above is better).

Great topic.

Funny story - once I got randomly pulled to go in the glass "telephone booth" looking thing that detects any kind of bomb type stuff. I was a smoker back then and TOTALLY forgot I had a bic lighter in my pocket. The machine didn't catch that, which I thought was bizarre!!!

Last edited:
@Miss99 there are several things that can trigger the anxiety. The new job traveling by plane which you said that is not good. Being with the new people .and other things.
I suppose they are with the new job. But worrying about carrying the few ones should not be one of the things to be concerned about . I think everyone has given great advice here.
I agree it is not something the task is looking for and it should be very easy to carry them on doing what several have said . Good luck.

Just to add, maybe just me but I'd never put them in anything but carry on. At least going thru tsa I can watch them go thru my backpack. Enjoy yourself.

Yup and yup - seen it happen. That is not even an "not even option for options".

Many years ago, I mean a lifetime ago when when I was a in early 20's worked at airport and saw, first hand the loaders going through luggage. It is the top worst place to put anything of value. I was a straight shooter and did not go over well with other - so just turned a blind eye. I can only image what goes on now....

Bottom line, conflicted and everyone one else who chimed is is 100% correct.

Also for the mailing thing, does not only have to be a trusted friend. Check with the hotel (if the will accept and how it it kept prior to arrival), as have done that and the letter is waiting for you I checked in. Just tell them important work related documents (hard copies). Also I send 2 envelopes (works for me)- concern was with carrier, not destination. Even they might or can be snagged. The couple of time I did it, both showed - but better safe than sorry.

Being smart and creative is the key to any method. Ans be calm if in a carry on.

Also, just drinking the whole way is hard for people with shy anxiety kidneys frozen over the cramped, smelly porto fly or whatever with people standing in line. Ive never had problems with pills in an organizer or any other carry on...its not a tsa priority.

@0P I'm sure they won't even ask, I bring anywhere from 6-20 bottles pi k liquid methadone when I fly along with adderall, Xanax and soma and TSA has never done so much as open a bottle or ask a question.
I think you'll be OK.

There are plenty of ways. Send via 2 day priority mail ( bubble wrapped up nice in a bday card) to where ever you are staying in advance.

If the color is the same, put in a container of OTC meds and take them with you - which is very common and an easy way to do it. Breath mints work great (again, color).

Do a search for threads and there are plenty - found https://pharmacyreviewer.co/forum/general-advice/54573-travelling-us-unprescribed-meds.html?highlight=traveling+with+meds which may be useful.

Just get creative and don't panic or worry when you are traveling with them

You will be fine.
@petenyc
That’s what I was going to say -super easy to toss them in with a bottle of aspirin and carry it on.
I’d be hard pressed to think someone would go to the trouble of dumpimg them out -making sure they’re all aspirin.

This is what I did when I went to Hawaii last year. Had no issues.

I use one of those weekly pill containers that have slots for every day of the week and I keep it in my hand luggage. They are not going to spend time checking every pill that everyone is carrying. I would personally be more worried about doing something that looked sneaky, like hiding pills in with other pills, if they did examine it, you’d have to explain it. With the pill case, it looks,and basically is, completely legit. I use it for all my prescription pills and supplements. The TSA just wants to get you through ASAP, and unless you are carrying huge quantities of something, they are not going to bother with you.

@Miss99 how did it go with what you decided to do on the trip and the meds ? I am sure it went fine after all the good tips here in this threead.

I also would NEVER put my important meds in regular luggage. Have heard too many horror stories about meds gone missing. Carry on only!

When I was going through IVF, I was going through the x-ray/check your carry on and I told them I had a bunch of meds with rx's, it was in a cool container as they had to stay cool, yada yada. They didn't bat an eye and this was after 9/11. It was a US to UK flight. Didn't even ask to look at it. But it went through the x-ray machine.

The only thing I wonder about if I were to do it again is that I don't have many bottles that correspond to my meds. Which are much different than IVF meds ;)

So I would need to get creative as some of the other posters have suggested. (looking for otc meds that look the same is a great idea).

Or be honest and say I'm carrying meds and pray they don't ask for the rx! (Although I think the option above is better).

Great topic.

Funny story - once I got randomly pulled to go in the glass "telephone booth" looking thing that detects any kind of bomb type stuff. I was a smoker back then and TOTALLY forgot I had a bic lighter in my pocket. The machine didn't catch that, which I thought was bizarre!!!

I usually just find an old Rx bottle with my name on it. And dump all the pills in it even if they are not the same pill or look completely different. I keep the bottle in my personal item/carry on. I’m traveling right now and have 4 different medications in the same pharmacy bottle as my prescribed Valium. They don’t care, they didn’t even look at it. The TSA is looking for weapons and bombs, they don’t care about your pills. One love.

Have not had to fly often, but when I did , I used OTC bottle of an allergy med. It was same color and similar enough in size that unless you dumped the bottle out and picked through them, you couldn't tell the difference.

I’ve taken all sorts of different things on planes and it’s never been a problem.
Just put the pills in an empty pill bottle for something else, either prescription or over the counter.

Also I’ve always felt safest putting “questionable” things in my checked luggage bag rather than carry on bag... easier to hide there, and it’s not with you the entire time. But I think with pills you should be fine either way.

Hey guys so sorry for the delay ! I just moved and with my new job it has been a mess. I ended up not going on the flight as it was cancelled but now I have great information for future uses ! Thank you guys sooo much. Now my contract is ending and I will have to look for a new job and now comes the drug tests which I’m sure 100% I’m going to get tested. I stopped taking the valium about 2 weeks ago have only taken Xanax when needed but I know it’s all still in my system. I am drinking water like crazy taking vitamins and working out some. I also have been taking kava kava for anxiety and calm magnesium powder. Hate worrying about this crap. We should be able to take what we need for anxiety ! My interviews actually start tomorrow so I am worried
Sucks ! Any info on how long to get my system clean ? I will go get some drug tests as I want to test myself !!!

Any advice will help - maybe I should make a new thread on this question ?????

I’ve taken all sorts of different things on planes and it’s never been a problem.
Just put the pills in an empty pill bottle for something else, either prescription or over the counter.

Also I’ve always felt safest putting “questionable” things in my checked luggage bag rather than carry on bag... easier to hide there, and it’s not with you the entire time. But I think with pills you should be fine either way.

Do not put your pills in your checked bags. There is no where you can hide anything in a bag you take to the airport. All of your luggage is carefully scanned with very sensitive x-ray machines. Putting your pills in your checked luggage is a great way to have it stolen. I stopped checking anything of value or hard to replace in my checked bag, too many things have disappeared. Once on a flight they lost my checked bag, when they found it they forwarded it to my hotel via a taxi service. When it arrived all of my prescriptions were missing. The luggage handlers and other staff will frequently open bags and take pills, regardless of what the bottle looks like. They are used to the habits of travelers.

One Love!

Back
AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks