What's Your Damage?

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Blackbird123

Distinguished member
Hi fellow members. I am pretty sure I started a similar thread years even decades ago. Not even sure if it was on THIS board.

Anywho I find it helpful to know that I am not alone in my chronic pain. Interesting to hear of what others suffer and why/how. To me, mental health issues count as a chronic pain issue. So basically all are welcome to post.

Tangents are also fine. As are vents of course.

My damage -- well probably more types/causes than I have time to post this am so I will start with my main source of pain. It's my cervical spine. Ruptured the disc between C5-C6 which is where our arms connect into our neck when I was in my early 30s. Had a cervical fusion where the ruptured disc was replaced with a piece of bone from my hip. Healed well and I was pain free for about 10 years which was 20 years ago. One way I manage the pain is to self-restrict what I do with my arms and how long I sit.

So what's your damage?

Lumbalgia. (hada google how to spell that one)

Basically a fancy way of saying Lower back pain, L-4 L-5 Area Disc is smooshed, PT guy says its being pushed outward since i bend forward too much and i need to do my back bends blah blah helps some but nothing is 100%

Add in ADHD which makes me lazy as fuck and insomnia and im just too tired to give a fuck :D

I had a pal that was being wheeled into surgery for an L5 repair and while he was wiped out on the drugs they gave him they asked if he wanted the L4 done too. Like they were waiters taking an order.

Mike

L4 L5 epidurals still working mostly. Though insurance loves to battle this from time to time so that there will be a break in routine for about 6 months until the bs settles and they remember to allow the procedure. Anyway, I can't do much of anything for long periods of time. I also have to be aware of posture since bending my neck to look down continuously is a thing of the past. Oh and that pesky carpal tunnel.

Herniated disc and even though my pain is chronic, most days it's something I can deal with, ibuprofen or just stretching... But, when it gets aggravated and puts pressure on the sciatic nerve forget about it! I also have borderline carpal tunnel in my right wrist, again most days I'm fine, but there are certain things that will instantly aggravate it...

The worst thing about the fact that my pain isn't off the scale all the time and I only really need heavier pain pills randomly is that doctors basically refuse to script me heavier pain meds when I need them... It's a vicious cycle that has forced me to seek alternatives...

Herniated disc and even though my pain is chronic, most days it's something I can deal with, ibuprofen or just stretching... But, when it gets aggravated and puts pressure on the sciatic nerve forget about it! I also have borderline carpal tunnel in my right wrist, again most days I'm fine, but there are certain things that will instantly aggravate it...

The worst thing about the fact that my pain isn't off the scale all the time and I only really need heavier pain pills randomly is that doctors basically refuse to script me heavier pain meds when I need them... It's a vicious cycle that has forced me to seek alternatives...
I can say in all honesty my drug of choice is ibuprofen if I had to choose long term. In fact I have been known to say that I refuse to try to survive an apocalypse unless I am assured a lifetimes supply of it. I am careful to protect my stomach so I can handle it well into my elder years. Hopefully.

I can say in all honesty my drug of choice is ibuprofen if I had to choose long term. In fact I have been known to say that I refuse to try to survive an apocalypse unless I am assured a lifetimes supply of it. I am careful to protect my stomach so I can handle it well into my elder years. Hopefully.

At 800 mg ibuprofen works pretty well for many things, but when my sciatic nerve is aggravated, forget about it, ibuprofen alone won't even take the edge off it... A pain med that I was super happy about was when I had some dental work done and the dentist scripted me Hydrocodone / Ibuprofen, it just worked!

At 800 mg ibuprofen works pretty well for many things, but when my sciatic nerve is aggravated, forget about it, ibuprofen alone won't even take the edge off it... A pain med that I was super happy about was when I had some dental work done and the dentist scripted me Hydrocodone / Ibuprofen, it just worked!
Sciata - not even pain med helps me unfortunately. So far only thing is epidurals that keep it up high and not running down leg.

@Lupin36 yeah when my sciatica flares up pain meds (opioids) only make it possible to get out of bed, the pain is still over the top and I'm basically bedridden until it calms down, luckily (knock on wood) that only happens to me every few years and only last about a week max... If it was any worse I would not hesitate to get full-blown disc replacement surgery to restore quality of life...

Rheumatoid Arthritis
Psoriatic Arthritis
Psoriasis
Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome
Seizures
I failed to mention the debilitating depression, kidney stones (which come along no matter how I try to prevent them), hypothyroidism, migraines and hypopituitarism.

I feel like my body is falling apart some days

Have had RA since age 9, Psoriatic since age 7. Life long battle. Will probably have to have knee replacement in the next 10 years.

Okay, done whining 😑

@Veejur , your post was not whiny at all! That said, I find whining super helpful! So here I go ...

I just filled out the online info sheet for a new masseuse at a place that does acupuncture, dry needling, and some other stuff. There was a section asking me what I had tried previously for my pain. Out of 12 options, I checked 10. I am getting too old for this merry go round.

But my current script from my pain mgt doctor is barely controlling my pain. Now granted I have had a lot of stress and travel in the last few months so maybe this is just an extended pain spike and it will calm down. I do see my PM PA next week, and I may ask him about getting a new MRI. Haven't had one in about 15 years. I am not sure though. I don't really want surgery so not sure if there is a point. Plus not sure if I want to rock the pain management boat. I likely won't ask.

Also my DH and I are training our spirited spanish water dog and according to our trainer we have to snap/sharp tug her leash when we are giving her a correction. I need to figure out how to do that without aggravating my neck. Last time I talk to my DH about it, he went blah blah about me doing the full round of MRIs and maybe surgery. I just know I cannot do that. Don't have it in me. I think I am just gonna fake it.

Do nerve blocks work on sciatica?
They would work temporarily I think (you would want check to be sure) but it wouldn't be a long term pain solution. There can't be too many worse pains than that one. Had it for a year once and could barely walk.

Mike

I think it depends on the purpose of the epidural. Usually it's some combination of a numbing medicine similar to lidocaine, and a steroid.

So the massage yesterday went well. The facility is close (relatively) to my house. The receptionist was very nice. The masseuse was in her mid-20s, so recently trained. She told me she was hard of hearing which I kind of liked as she gets what it is to have limitations.

It was hard giving her my pain history. Almost started to cry. But I we got through it. I don't bother with every little detail anymore. Doesn't really change anything. No secret solution out there.

I could tell that she had some different massage moves. She tried to get under my scapula (shoulder blade) but could not. Anyway that's a goal as she said it can be a game changer.

I am very very sore today but in a good way. No nerve pain so she did not aggravate anything. Gonna commit to monthly appointments.

Hi @Veejur I am doing really well for me. The massage definitely helped. B4 the pandemic I used to get monthly massages for pain mgt although I never really liked them. So when the pandemic ended I continued to not get them.

But my recent pain spike(s) forced me to do something and massage is the first easy step. I am so pleased the masseuse was competent and respectful of my concerns.

I have had some really bad massage experiences over the decades. The worst one was from a physical therapist who recommended that I pull back from supporting my elderly mother who was dying! Because it was stressing me out!! WTH!?!

Back to the new good place to which I just went. I did schedule another massage a month out. Also they have this great program where if you commit to 3 monthly massages they will give you a discount of 20%. They bill your credit card monthly -- use it or lose it kind of thing -- so it's great that you don't have to pay for all your massages up front.

DH and I are trying to live on a monthly budget so that is helpful!

Chronic treatment resistant depression
Oseto arthritis in hips and most joints
Broken bones, ribs, ankle, fingers, toes from Osteoporosis
Lumbar one compression fracture
And the newest ride on this highway to hell -----Lung Cancer

Back
AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks